Cutting hair yourself at home – Instructions and tips for a well-groomed look!
The corona virus crisis is spreading and everyday life has changed completely. Governments are taking ever stricter measures and, in addition to all restaurants and gyms, hairdressing salons must be temporarily closed. Other beauty salons that are not legally required to do so voluntarily to protect your customers and employees. As a result, many people cannot keep their appointments. But what should you do if the bangs need to be cut or the hair needs a little refresh? If your hairdressing appointment has also been canceled, then you've come to the right place! In this article we have many useful tips and detailed instructions for you about cutting hair yourself at home!
Since a lot of things can go wrong when cutting hair at home, a lot of courage is required. If you can't make it to the salon right now, there are a few important points to keep in mind. It is not for nothing that training as a hairdresser lasts three years. An uneven cut or bangs are unfortunately not uncommon and if you are not sure you can do it, we would recommend that you wait for the next possible appointment with the hairdresser you trust.
Cutting hair yourself at home – what should you pay attention to?
Have you already decided to cut your hair yourself at home? Then you should definitely pay attention to the following things.
- The key is to start small with a few snippets. Right now is not the time to make big changes. Removing split ends, cutting off tips or shortening the bangs can do any woman with the right tips. You should leave complicated haircuts and new looks to the hairdresser.
- It is better to cut your hair by the millimeter until you have reached the desired length. Trimming is always possible, but you cannot undo what you have already trimmed. Especially with short haircuts such as pixie, extreme caution is advised, because then even the smallest mistakes are quickly visible.
- Use the right scissors – nail scissors or kitchen scissors lead to split ends and can permanently damage the hair. It is therefore better to invest in special hair scissors. This does not necessarily have to be professional – in every well-stocked drugstore you will find suitable scissors that do not cost a fortune. In order to get the best possible cut, you will also need a small mirror, comb, hair tie or hair clip.
Should the hair be wet or dry?
There is no right answer to the question of whether you should cut your hair wet or dry. It depends on the one hand on your personal preferences and on the other hand on your hair structure. If this is your first time cutting your own hair at home and you're not yet sure what is best for you, think about your last visit to the hairdresser. Did the stylist cut hair dry or wet? However, some professionals recommend the following:
- Straight hair It is best to cut wet or slightly damp, because only then can a clean and straight cut be achieved. But don't forget that wet hair looks longer. So it would be advisable to start small, then blow dry and check whether you have already reached the desired length. It would also be helpful if you straighten the hair with a flat iron after cutting and if necessary – touch up a bit.
- To have a better idea of how yours curly hair after the cut, you should always cut them dry. Curls and waves when wet are actually much longer and you may misjudge length and cut too much.
Step by step instructions for the new hairstyle
The classic straight cut is very easy to use at home with the right instructions. The hair is cut in the so-called U-shape or in other words – the front parts are a lot shorter than the back. And so it goes:
- Wash the hair and dry it lightly with a towel.
- Comb thoroughly with a fine-toothed comb and then pull a center parting.
- Place the two halves of the hair forward over your shoulder and start with one side.
- Take a narrow strand and comb again. Hold the strand between the index and middle finger taut and position it where you want to cut.
- Hold the tips up and the scissors at a slight angle and cut the hair under your fingers.
- Repeat the process with the remaining strands, the first batch should always be used as a guide. After every 2-3 operations, comb the ends of your hair to check that all strands are of equal length.
- Repeat the technique with the other side. To ensure that both sides are the same length, you can either put on a striped t-shirt and use it as a guide. A fine comb can also help to adjust the length.
Cutting split ends yourself made easy with the twisting technique
So that your mane stays healthy and there are no breaks, it is recommended to cut the split ends every 4 to 6 weeks. The so-called twisting technique is ideal for cutting the split ends yourself at home.
- First, lightly dampen the hair and comb well.
- Divide the hair with hair clips or hair ties into strands about 2-3 centimeters wide.
- Now twist each strand as tightly as possible from top to bottom.
- The broken tips stick out from the streak and are very easy to recognize.
- Then carefully cut off the protruding tips with the appropriate scissors.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the hair, being careful to separate the finished sections of hair.
Cut hair yourself at home – step cutting yourself make instructions
No matter whether for short or long mane – a step haircut makes the hair look much more voluminous and lively. If you want a new, refreshing look, then follow our step-by-step instructions on how to cut hair into layers yourself. This method works for both dry and slightly damp hair.
- If you want to cut your hair dry, we recommend that you first straighten it with a flat iron.
- Comb the hair well and tie it into a tight ponytail at the top of the head.
- Then pull the hair forward and hold the ponytail upright.
- Now hold the tips of your hair between the middle and index fingers and cut straight to the desired length with the scissors.
- This technique works so well because the top coat is in principle shorter than the lower ends and this automatically creates even, subtle steps.
So you can cut an overgrown pony yourself.
All women who wear a pony know how annoying it can be when it gets too long and that regular trimming is an absolute must. With this technique, however, a bit of dexterity is required and rather unsuitable for people with clumsy or trembling hands. It is also advisable to cut the bangs dry, otherwise you run the risk of cutting too much and the fringes of your forehead becoming too short.
- In the first step, separate the bangs from the rest of the hair and stick away the side parts with hair clips.
- Comb the bangs properly and, if necessary, smooth them with the flat iron.
- For a satisfactory result, it is better to work strand by strand.
- Now clamp a narrow strand between the index and middle fingers, bend the scissors slightly and cut off the lower section of hair.
- For an oblique bangs, the sectioned hair should cut off in a slightly diagonal line, keeping the scissors vertical and the tip of the scissors pointing down.
Cut the long bob yourself
Whether short, long or asymmetrical – the trendy bob hairstyle has endless variations and is a timeless classic that will never go out of style. Are you already fed up with your long hair and want a little change? Below we have something for the very brave of you and show you how to cut a straight long bob haircut yourself. All you need is a little skill and a hair tie. Here's how easy it is:
- Moisten hair slightly and comb well.
- Tie a deep ponytail at the nape of the neck and then pull the hair tie down until it sits the desired length.
- Then bend your head slightly down and cut the hair in a straight line below the hair tie.
Can you cut curly hair yourself at home?
All women who have naturally curly hair know that they need special care to look beautiful and healthy. We therefore recommend that you wait for your hairdresser for a completely new cut. However, if you just want to cut the tips, we'll explain how it works best.
- In order to correctly estimate the length, curly hair should always be cut dry and not brushed.
- Even if it takes a lot longer, you should rather work strand by strand.
- Put the top coat away above the ears and start with the lower part of the hair.
- Now take a small curl and cut it off where it looks rather undefined and broken.
- Check the result in the mirror after every 3-4 strands – this is the only way to guarantee an even cut.
- Now as soon as you are done with the lower hair, repeat the process with the top hair.
The post cut hair yourself at home – instructions and tips for a well-groomed look! appeared first on Deavita.com | Living ideas, design, hairstyles, make-up, lifestyle, health and beauty tips.